Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes
Trick or Treat? This one's a treat! Get in the spirit of the season with these deliciously cute pumpkin cupcakes, complete with pretzel stems and cream cheese frosting - perfect for Fall and Halloween!
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 18 min
Yield: 24 Cupcakes
- 12 Tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup McSteven's Pumpkin Cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Frosting and Decorations
- Pretzel rods
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Orange and Green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line cupcake tins with liners.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each egg, then add the vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and sour cream. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, McSteven's Pumpkin Cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Alternate adding buttermilk mixture and flour mixture to creamed butter and sugar, beating between each addition. Be sure to not overmix the batter.
- Fill cupcake tins about 2/3 full and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into middle of cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a rack and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- sift in the powdered sugar, beat until combined, then add the vanilla and beat again until combined.
- Remove about 1 cup of frosting and place in separate bowl. Add orange food coloring to large bowl of icing and green food coloring to small bowl. Mix both until desired colors are reached.
- Refrigerate frosting for 30 minutes for easier decorating.
- Break pretzel rods in two and insert both pieces into side of cupcake to make pumpkin stems.
- Remove frosting from fridge and either pipe or slather orange frosting onto tops of cupcakes, and then use green frosting for decorative leaves.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!