Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake
The Fall season has finally begun, and we all know what that means - Pumpkin Spice! We enjoy it in our drinks and our candles, and now we can enjoy it in our cake too! This Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake is the perfect blend of cocoa, pumpkin and spices, and topped with a delicious butter and cream cheese frosting. So grab your latte, gather your ingredients, and let's get baking!
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hr 30 min (includes cooling time)
Yield: 8 slices
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, soft
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup McSteven's Pumpkin Cocoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5/8 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- For decoration: sliced almonds, McSteven's Pumpkin Cocoa, and cinnamon sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8-inch round layer cake pan, or any pan you have.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in small bowl, set aside.
- Cream butter in medium mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, McSteven's Pumpkin Cocoa, eggs, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes, or until mixture is light and fluffy, scraping bowl often.
- Add sifted dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, mixing at lowest speed just until smooth.
- Pour batter into cake pan. Bake about 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out pan onto rack to cool completely.
- Cream butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in vanilla and powdered sugar on low until combined, then high until smooth.
- Frost cake, shake a small dusting of cocoa on top, add almonds and cinnamon sticks for decoration, and enjoy!